Thursday, February 7, 2013

Boy or Girl?

We occasionally eat fast food.  I hate to admit it, but I don't mind Taco Bell and neither do the kids. The other day I had one of those times that I had to feed people in the car from one place to another, so I decided to pick up something for them at Subway.  I was picking my kids up afterwards, but I think they would have been as confused by what happened as I was.

We haven't frequented Subway in years, so I was surprised to have the conversation I did there.
I ordered kids' meals for my kids and got the question, "Boys or girls?"
"Why?"  I wasn't being snarky, I honestly didn't know why she was asking.
"Because some of our lunch bags are for boys and some are for girls."
"What's the difference?" I asked, again, kind of clueless that lunch bags would be gender specific.  I wondered if there was some sort of smaller handle for smaller girl hands or something...kind of like the Bic pens for women (seriously!).
"Because some of the bags have pink on them."  I could tell that now she was getting slightly annoyed, standing at the bag display, of my ignorance on the matter.
"My son likes pink." I offered.  The father and son in front of me in line smiled.  Not a "that's funny" smile, but as I perceived it, a "yup" kind of smile, or at least I hoped it was.
I ended up picking out a yellow bag for Sophia, her favorite color, and a Dr. Doofenschmirtz bag for Dom, his favorite character.  I don't think Dom's bag had pink on it; I didn't check.

I knew they did the "Boy/Girl" thing at McDonald's and it was a source of confusion for my people when we ate there.  I think back to when my peeps were little, and we had to limit ourselves to once a week.  It was too easy when we lived "fry-smelling distance" from a Mickey D's.  I honestly can't remember the last time we have eaten at one now...
But back in our "Happy Meal" days, we had the same issue.
Voice from the speaker: "Boys or girls?"
"What is the toy?", I'd ask.
"Legos or My Little Pony." Seriously?  My daughter is still a huge Lego fan.
"Two Lego meals please."
Speaker voice: "So two boys?"
"No, a boy and a girl.  My daughter prefers Legos."
 "2 boy Happy Meals" appeared on the screen.

I just find it weird.

I have relatives in South Carolina and my nephew had to choose between a boys' treasure box and a girls' treasure box in his classroom.  The whole idea is archaic to me.

On a final note, we went to a pottery painting place the other day.  I brought Sophia and a friend of hers.  The woman running the shop was pointing out the items to paint.  "How about this?  It's a blank sign, so you could paint, 'NO BOYS ALLOWED' on it."
The girls looked at her, not understanding.  "They are both good friends with their brothers, so I don't think that would go over well." I told her.
"Well, how about this holder?  You can put your cell phones in here."  Again, the blank stares from the girls.
In the end, they chose owl banks.  I am glad that my daughter, her friend, and my son don't feel that they have to fit in our social norms.  Pink is a sharp color.   Legos are always cooler than "My Little Pony".   I would have picked the Legos too.

No comments:

Post a Comment